Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Take the season's harvest of pumpkins and turn it into these soft and delicious pumpkin muffins with plenty of chocolate chips!
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree can be substituted with sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1/4 tsp each of; allspice, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and grease a 12-count small muffin tin lightly with oil and flour well (or line with silicone or paper cups if desired).
Stir together the coconut milk and vinegar in mixing bowl then add the sugar. Add oil, vanilla, and spices, then add pumpkin puree and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, salt, and baking powder and gently mix into wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips last until mixed.
Spoon batter into the slots in prepared pans and fill to the rim. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
If you're looking to make these a little healthier and don't mind a slightly less sweet version I sometimes like to replace all the all-purpose flour in this recipe with whole wheat flour and replace all the sugar with coconut sugar. Another option, if you have an allergy to gluten, is to use a gluten free flour blend that you've worked with before and know replaces wheat flour measure for measure well.